Understanding French Canada
French is the native language of about 7.2 million Canadians or 20.6% of the Canadian population, a large and important market segment.
Quebec is the largest province represented, 77% of whom are native French speakers, and 95% speak French as a first or second language.
All too many brands simply translate English marketing into French and hope for the best.
Then they are surprised when products fail in this market. French-speaking Canadians are part of a culture that is unique and therefore needs to be addressed in ways that acknowledge those differences.
We believe in creating marketing that is relevant for the consumer, whatever the cultural background or expectations may be. We help clients from Quebec expand across the rest of Canada, as well as Canadian companies establish brands which French-speaking Canadians will love.
How much do you know about French Canada? Take this simple yes/no quiz.
- Quebeckers are more likely to reject GMO foods that the rest of the country?
- Quebeckers are more likely to tip at the coffee shop?
- IGA is one of the provinces most trusted brands?
- Quebeckers are much less likely to see shelf-stable products as unhealthy or processed?
- Quebeckers take more time to prepare as well as eat meals?
- While Quebeckers were less supportive of cannabis legalization, they are more open to personally using it for medicinal as well as recreational use?
- Netflix adoption and traditional cable cord-cutting are much lower in Quebec, due to lack of a good library of content, as well as its own star system in the province?
- Quebeckers feel left out of the social media conversation?